About Me

To paraphrase a blogger who is far more glamorous than me, like London needs another working mum blogging about her life. But hey, sometimes when you have a laptop on your knees in between serving oven chips and leftovers and starting bedtime you wonder how you became that woman, why you did and how you feel about it. Sometimes I even probe further - who is THAT woman, and did I ever aspire to be her? Do I like her? Could I learn to? Which is why I've started this blog...

Tuesday, 25 January 2011

Clothes Shopping - Oh Boy!

Just been to M&S, and had a quick look at pyjamas. Spider-Boy is growing at an alarming rate of knots and he needs some which fit his ranging arms and legs. I failed, of course. Not because there were no pyjamas but because each set had something which made me feel a bit weird about buying it.

So many of the boy's pyjamas are either branded with some TV tie-in or plastered with loud, inane slogans about how IT ISN'T EASY BEING THIS POPULAR or SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK or whatever. I mean, seriously, is it impossible to make children's clothes which don't create some mocking ironic personality? My son has personality enough - he doesn't need to be fashioned after some derivative idea of childhood.

I find the teeny tiny baby slogan obsession has the potential for being really aggravating - TIT MAN, I kid you not, and MUMMY'S NEW MAN being my particular bugbears. But in a weird way, the older boy's clothes I find worse as they are just totally asinine. Why would I spatter weak puns and pointless mantras over my son that say nothing about him, and something slightly unimpressive about me ie I have no imagination or, worse, am prepared to go for the lowest common denominator in an attempt at what, wit?

I've spent the afternoon wondering if there is a whole department at each high street store's head office dedicated to coming up with pseudo sophomoric catchphrases for boy's t-shirts. A wag I know quipped that maybe they share an office with a brigade desperate to add a splash of pink to anything looking vaguely unisex so it can be marketed at girls. Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment